Sunday, November 7, 2010

Taylor Kincaid, Author of the Paranormal Inspirational Novel, 'Why Angels Dance, Book One of Ashley's Waltz'

Scribal Love Welcomes Taylor Kincaid!


Taylor Kincaid is an author of fantasy, paranormal, historical, suspense, inspirational genre.  Her newest work, Why Angels Dance, Book One Ashley’s Waltz, is available from Red Rose Publishing. 


What inspired you to write this book?


This series is somewhat a fairy tale about guardian angels and the mortals in their charge.  But I use the term fairy tale loosely, as the mortals are faced with extremely difficult and sometimes seemingly insurmountable problems in their earthly lives.


I have always loved the thought that we all have a guardian angel who watches over us day and night.  I also think angels are beautiful and magnificent beings, and have always been fascinated by them.  I decided I wanted to write a fantasy series about these guardians and their mortals, imagining to the best of my ability what their jobs might entail, what a day in their lives might be like.  And I began to write the first story in this series, Ashley’s Waltz.  


Do you have a specific writing style? 


I don’t know if I have a certain style or not.  I love to write and enjoy creating characters, bringing them to life, characters who only live in my imagination until I start putting them on paper.  I also enjoy writing dialogue, and pay attention to detail.  I gravitate to stories of the paranormal and fantasy genre.  I enjoy writing romance, but also enjoy genres outside of romance, which is the case with my Angels series.  Although some of the characters may experience romance, this is not a romance series, but more of a drama series.  


What is the name of your latest book?  And how did you come up with the title?


Why Angels Dance, Ashley’s Waltz, is the first book to be published in the series.  The mortals in these stories are dealing with serious situations in their lives, and so are the angels who are assigned to their cases.  My angels needed an outlet where they could unwind from the intense drama of their time on earth with their mortals.  So each of the angels spend their free time posing as ballroom instructors in Heaven.  They all love to dance and are good at it. And when they have successfully completed their cases on earth, they have every reason for celebrating.  Hence, why angels dance…


What is Ashley’s Waltz about?


Ashley is a lovely four year old, who must repeatedly suffer physical abuse at the hand of her mother’s boyfriend.  The mother does nothing to intercede for or protect her daughter, and allows the abuse to continue.  Her guardian, Mary Lou, must attempt to find someone on earth who might care enough to get involved and try to help the poor child.


What books have influenced your life most?


As a child, I was so interested in fairy tales, the ones where the prince carries the princess off into the sunset, and they live happily ever after.  I’m older and wiser now, and I know that fairy tales are just that. But there is a tiny part of me that would still like to believe in them.  I suppose there is still a little girl inside who never wants to grow up.


The Bible has been a great influence throughout my life, as I have always been a Christian. My faith has become such an important part of my life in recent years.  It was by the grace of God that I survived, with my sanity intact, the three-year period when my husband, Dave, and I battled his colon and brain cancer together.  It was an incredibly difficult time, which ended in December of 2008 with Dave’s death.  I know God was with me helping me every step of the way.  And I have tried to be careful in writing this series, as I want to represent the Father in a respectful way.  Even though this is a fictional fantasy series, I want my representation of heaven to be as true to form as possible, considering my limited knowledge of a place I have never seen but only hope for.  I hope I succeed in portraying correctly God’s true loving nature. 




If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?


That one’s easy. Nicholas Sparks. His stories tug at the heart and always make you cry.  It’s best to have a box of Kleenex handy.  But that’s the kind of writer I want to be.  My goal is to touch the reader’s heart with my stories in such a way that she can’t help but cry when she reads them.


What books are you reading now?


I’m actually not reading any right now.  I’m focusing my time and effort on writing more books in this series.  


What are your current projects?


I’m constantly writing poetry.  But the story I’m currently working on would be the fourth book in the series.  Book Three features Anastasia, a lovely young woman who has spent her life in a wheelchair, and in and out of hospitals.  She is my favorite character in the series so far. Book Four will be her sequel, and will continue to tell her story.


Do you see writing as a career?


I would love to think I could make enough money doing what I love to make a living at it.  But I don’t know how likely that is. So for now, I just consider it more of a hobby, and also a stress reliever.  It’s hard to think about the stress in my own life, when I’m so involved in my character’s lives.  After all, their lives are literally in my hands.


If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?


At this point, no, not anything I can think of.


Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?


I have always loved the English language and words.  I started writing fictional short stories in high school.


Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?


Oh, there are always challenges in writing.  They can range from the simple, things like spelling and punctuation, proper grammar…to more intense challenges.  Am I being true to my character’s personality? 


And writing in a realistic manner is important to me.  I know… being concerned about realism when you’re writing fantasy or paranormal?  But my paranormal and fantasy characters are constantly inter-acting with real humans, and the humans need to be realistic and believable.


Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?


Yes…that we are always in need of angels watching over us. We humans can quickly make a mess of things, of our own lives and of others.  That’s why we need to be guided by a Higher Power, like our Heavenly Father, and His angels who are among us.


Do you have any advice for other writers?


If you love to write, then do it.  Don’t do it to please others.  Do it for yourself.  It’s truly a great way to relieve stress.  Write your stories, proofread them and perfect them.  And then submit them to a publisher.  Be prepared for rejection.  It goes with the territory.  But shrug it off and keep going.  There is always another publisher on your list.

Thank you for dropping by Taylor!

You are welcome.


You can buy her book at:  


http://redrosepublishing.com/books/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=193&products_id=826

2 comments:

  1. TAYLOR! How are you? Long time no see. I hope life has been treating you well. I remember this one from "Forbidden" days...still have the original cover, too. It's so wonderful to see this series again. Congratulations and Hugs!

    *big smiles*
    Dawné (a.k.a. Dawn)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this interview with author Taylor Kincaid. I like the thought of there being guardian angels to watch over us so I like the concept of this series and I think I'll enjoy reading Ashley's Waltz.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! We love and appreciate your feedback. Please note, any comment that appears to be spam or offensive in nature will be deleted.

Otherwise, we love and encourage your feed back and comments.

-Clare The Embraced Scribe