Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Patricia Pellicane, Author of the Historical Romantic Erotica, 'Heat Lightening'

Scribal Love Welcomes Patricia Pellicane!


Patricia Pellicane is an author of both Contemporary and Historical Romantic Erotica.  Her newest work, ‘Heat Lightning’ will be available on November 9 from Resplendence Publishing.


Before we begin I wanted to thank you, Clare, for this opportunity.  It’s much appreciated.



Where are you from?


I’m from a town a half hour outside of New York City, on Long Island.  I live there with my husband.  My six kids and fifteen grandchildren live mostly in close or adjoining towns.



What inspired you to write this book?


This book is the third of a series set in the old west.  I like writing about cowboys, etc.  To me it’s a sexy time period.



Do you have a specific writing style?


I suppose I do.  Everyone who writes has their own style, but I can’t name it.



What is the name of your latest book?  And how did you come up with the title?


Heat Lightning is the name of the book. It’s part of Arizona Heat series.  I needed something with heat in the title.  The first two were Heat Wave and Heat Flash.  It didn’t take long to work out the three titles.



What is Heat Lightning about?


It’s about a young woman who just finished school in the east.  She’s coming home for her mother’s wedding and meets a man on a train, seconds before the train crashes.  The two are trapped together, unable to move under pounds of rubble.


The young woman is educated, delicate and very much a refined lady, while the man who ends up on top of her for the night is her total opposite.  


The softness of the lady beneath him and their altogether close proximity only stirs this man’s interest, while his impossibly brazen actions, during the long night, leaves the lady confused and disgusted at her shocking inability to say no.


Of course after being rescued, they are destined to meet again.  His interest only grows as does her aggravation.



What books have influenced your life most?


That is a hard question to answer. I’m not sure any books have influenced me.  I read for escapism.  I write escapism. There’s nothing very serious here.


The only influence I can say would be influence on my writing.  Jane Austen and Charlotte Bronte’ influenced me there.  I’ve read their work a dozen times.



Did you find the idea of having your work published for others to read intimidating?  If yes, why?


Sure it’s intimidating.  This is your baby.  You want everyone to love it and when some don’t, it can hurt like hell.  After awhile a nasty comment or bad review stops bothering you.  A writer needs to develop a thick skin and realize everyone has their own taste, likes and dislikes.  The only thing that’s important is you like it.  If you don’t, then you’re doing something wrong.



If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?


I can’t choose one.  I enjoy many writers for a dozen different reasons.  In the beginning it was Kathleen Woodiwiss and her book ‘Shanna’.  No one person since then.



What books are you reading now?


At the moment, nothing.  It’s hard to concentrate on a book when you’re in the middle of something else.



What are your current projects?


Right now I’m writing another book for Total-e-bound.  A contemporary piece.  Very sexy.



Do you find your international audience is different from your home audience?


No.  Most of my readers are women and women love romance, no matter their color or nationality. 



Do you see writing as your career?


It is my career.



If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?


No.  Mostly I go over a book so many times that I grow sick of it.  If I need to change anything, that would be the time to do it.



Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?


I always loved to read.  One day after reading a particularly awful book, I said to myself, “Even I could do better than that.”  I tried it and was immediately caught.  Since that day I was a writer.  Certainly not polished at first, but a writer never-the-less.



Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?


Yes, the sex scene are difficult.  After twenty two printed novels and twelve erotic eBooks, you come to realize there are just so many words like ecstasy, tormented desire, savage heat, etc.  It doesn’t get easier when you try not to repeat yourself.   Also choreographing a love scene is tricky.  You can’t leave a leg wrapped around a guy’s neck and walk away.  Unless of course the lady has more than two legs.



Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?


The truth is I don’t learn much.  Some history here and there, but not much else.  Like I said before, my books are escapism, purely entertainment.



Do you have any advice for other writers?


My only advice is if you love what you do, keep doing it.  Never, ever give up.


I had twenty six rejections from my first book.  It never sold and I lost the manuscript somewhere.  But my second book sold the first time I sent it out.


You can’t win if you stop trying.


Thanks for dropping by Patricia!


You're Welcome, Clare.




Patricia Pellicane


For romance that sizzles find me at www.patriciapellicane.com
ppellicane@gmail.com
www.facebook.com

1 comment:

  1. Patricia, I love that you say 'you can't win if you stop trying'.
    If I'd had twenty-six rejections, i'm not sure how I'd feel, so more power toyour elbow :-) Your book sounds wonderful. That's a great incident you describe there. Wery enticing :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! We love and appreciate your feedback. Please note, any comment that appears to be spam or offensive in nature will be deleted.

Otherwise, we love and encourage your feed back and comments.

-Clare The Embraced Scribe