Saturday, November 27, 2010

Interview of Stacy-Deanne, Author of 'Giving Up the Ghost'

Scribal Love Welcomes Stacy-Deanne


Stacy-Deanne is an award-winning author of Crime fiction/Mystery and Interracial Romance.  Her newest work “Giving up the Ghost” will be available from Peace in the Storm Publishing, April 2011. 




What inspired you to write Giving up the Ghost?


The main characters, Detectives Brianna Morris and Steven Kemp came from my last novel, "Melody."  I fell in love with them and so did my fans.  The minute I finished Melody I knew I had more in store for them and I am so excited about this series.  They are a black woman and white man team that also have a romantic past which brings forth the stepping stone to the interracial romance aspect of the series.


Do you have a specific writing style?  


Just my own style, LOL.  That’s all I can say.   I don’t know how else to explain it.   I think each author has his or her individual style of course and it comes natural.   With me I’m more of a dialogue, fast-paced writer.   You gotta be quick when you write crime and mysteries. That’s not a genre that takes a lot of mulling around to get to the point.   Plus I like to read quick books so that’s what I write.


Author of 'Giving Up the Ghost,' Stacy-Deanne
How did you come up with the title?


I chose “Giving up the Ghost” because it actually fits the description of what happens in the story. When people read it, they will get why I chose the title.


What is “Giving up the Ghost” about?


Here’s a sneak peek:


Albany Detective Brianna “Bree” Morris is having the year from hell.  A sadistic admirer has been stalking her for months and now her friend Cheyenne Wilson has been beaten and left for dead.


With her ex-lover and faithful partner, Steven Kemp, Bree thrusts herself into the case.  It’s not long before they believe two unrelated British men are connected to the attack.  Michael is a womanizing artist with a ferocious appetite for rough sex.   Simon is a wealthy free spirit looking for love in all the wrong places, but has one too many skeletons in his closet.


Bree struggles to determine fact from fiction when it comes to Michael and Simon but her attempts are blurred by Michael's manipulation and her sexual attraction to Simon, who Steven’s convinced cannot be trusted.


Meanwhile the stalker does everything in his power to get close to Bree and his obsession evokes a spiral of violence.


Bree must trust her heart to find answers but her heart leads her to the most dangerous man of all.


What books have most influenced your life most?


Anything by Edgar Allan Poe but one that’s always stood out to me more than others is 'The Portrait of Dorian Gray' by Oscar Wilde.   I think the entire story is genius and it’s the perfect example of good vs. evil.   That’s the foundation for crime fiction and mysteries, the good vs. evil aspect.  This is one of the most brilliant suspense novels I’ve ever read and the creepiest too.   I’ve never read another novel; except for maybe 'The Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde' that shows a character having an inner struggle with themselves so powerfully.


If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?


My influences are Edgar Allan Poe and Hitchcock so those would be mentors to me.


If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?


Honestly nope. I am very happy with it. I worked with it long enough, LOL.   Maybe when it comes out for sale and I start getting public feedback that might change but no I am pretty happy with it. I think it’s the perfect start to my new series.


Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?


As a child I always liked to read and I wrote a bit then.  Becoming a professional writer hit me one day.  It’s simple as that.  I got my first computer at nineteen and I just started writing a story.  From that moment I knew I wanted to pursue publication.


Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?


Not in writing so much as being a published author.  You go up an entire new level when you’re published in the way that your writing is no longer just yours, you got tons of people who depend on your or expect things from you.  You got fans and others you always think about when you write.  I never write a story now without thinking about readers in the back of my head. Used to not be that way but it is now.   When you become published you gotta remember you’re writing for an audience as well as yourself.  You always have to think of them.


Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?


I learned that sometimes we’re the villain or bad guy and don’t even realize it.  Once folks read the book, they will get what this means.   LOL. 


Do you have any advice for other writers?


Be realistic, research and learn as much as you can about the publishing business and how it works if you intend to make it a career.


Thanks for dropping by Stacy!


Thanks so much for the opportunity!  For more information, everyone can stop by my web site to keep up with what I am doing: http://www.stacy-deanne.net


Also, if you’re on Facebook, add me as a friend.  I’d also like for people to check out the other fabulous authors and titles from my publisher:


http://www.peaceinthestormpublishing.com









1 comment:

  1. Great interview! I can particularly relate to Stacy-Deanne's answer to the "challenges" question. It is so true that once the fans depend upon you, you can't let up any longer.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! We love and appreciate your feedback. Please note, any comment that appears to be spam or offensive in nature will be deleted.

Otherwise, we love and encourage your feed back and comments.

-Clare The Embraced Scribe