Monday, October 18, 2010

Kay Dee Royal, Author of 'Big Girls Don't Cry Wolf'

Scribal Love Welcomes Kay Dee Royal!


Kay Dee is the author of 'Big Girls Don't Cry Wolf'.  It is available from Muse It Hot Publishing.

Hello Clare and Everyone. I’m nervous and excited to be here, looking forward to spending some time together.


Kay Dee Royal, tell us a little bit about yourself.

Hmmm, I left the corporate world ten years ago and never looked back. Thank goodness I have a supportive husband.

I write Young Adult Fantasy novels under a different name and have three works in progress. I’ve dabbled in non-fiction articles, essays, and poetry, but find paranormal fiction writing my ultimate favorite.

I wrote a few Paranormal Erotica Romance novels and fell in love with this genre. Not only do I love reading it, but I love writing it.

My e-book publisher is Lea Schizas – Muse It Up Publishing, more specific the Muse It Hot Publishing side of the company. When my manuscript was accepted, I joined the Muse It Up forum groups. Wow, talk about a family! Everyone wants to share wisdom, knowledge, and also share in celebrating each other’s success. It’s truly a wonderful publishing company for authors and readers alike.



How long did it take you to finish, from idea to final product?

The ideas above came together quickly using the ‘what if’ brainstorming method. Next the beginning, whew…I rewrote that little paragraph more than anything else. The initial hook takes some work. The first draft only took a couple of weeks, and I submitted the final product one month after (it had gone through a couple critique readers).


What are some challenges in your writing process?

I must rewrite as I go along. I write a few thousand words, hang it up for a day, and go back to rework it before I write the next couple of thousand words. Doing this refreshes where I’m at in the story, gets my creative juices cooking again, and allows me to catch back up with my characters. It initially takes me longer to write this way, but it’s my process and I’m sticking to it.


What is the release date of your book? Tell us about the book.

Big Girls Don’t Cry Wolf will be released on March 1, 2011.

My idea started with a contest request. The heroine must be a strong, intelligent, plus-sized woman, confident about her body. I had an interest in twins because a news article came out where a nurse stealing a twin from the hospital and leaving one behind for the parent to take home. So, I incorporated the twin concept with a bit of a twist, which you’ll find as you read the story.

Next the setting – it is my favorite type of area for vacationing, rustic, lakes, woods, and full moon kind of stuff too.

I added danger, abduction, family ties, possible rescue…

Here’s a blurb: Big Girls Don’t Cry Wolf

After the tragic loss of her twin sister, Brea works hard to prove herself worthy of her adoptive parent’s extra attention. She focuses on the success of the rustic resort her parents deeded to her.

Priorities change when sexy twin wolves in human-form walk into Brea’s life.
A dangerous rogue abducts her, but whom, if anyone comes to her rescue?


Short Excerpt:

Brea’s belly warmed and rolled into a major flip flop. Everything faded around her with the exception of the man in front of her. His eyes looked like gray slate in the strong sunlight, and he’d caught her staring. Those slates locked on to her, sending a bolt of electric sparks weaving through her insides. Her whole body tingled in a way she’d never experienced before.

“Damn it Blake, watch that thing,” his deep voice rumbled through the store.

His attention wavered, the connection shattered. Brea sucked in air like she’d just broke surface from a deep dive into a watery abyss. She physically took a step back to look at him, the energy in the air still heavy with the static strings that moments earlier connected them.

His fingers combed through the front of his hair, pulling it backward, but the dark curls bounced back over his brow, wild, unruly.  Brea couldn’t quite see behind Slate Eyes to know with whom he spoke, maybe a child. His bold language seemed a bit much for the likes of a child. He approached the counter where Brea stood. She swore the temperature rose about twenty degrees, even though a shiver spiked down her spine raising goose bumps over her skin.


What tips would share with an aspiring author?

Read, read, read, write, read, read, read, write some more. The more you read and write, the more you’ll hone your craft. Hang in there – you can do it!


Where can we find you on-line?









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! We love and appreciate your feedback. Please note, any comment that appears to be spam or offensive in nature will be deleted.

Otherwise, we love and encourage your feed back and comments.

-Clare The Embraced Scribe