Thursday, October 7, 2010

Author of 'Blood Loyalty', D. Fay



D. Fay is an author of Fantasy.  His newest work 'Blood Loyalty' is available from Amazon on Kindle. 




Blood Loyalty
check it out now on Amazon
What inspired you to write this book?


I’ve always loved fantasy and wanted to do some world building just like JRR Tolkien.  So I used the novel to build the world.  I also took a lot of inspiration from my old dungeons and dragons days. 




Do you have a specific writing style?  


I think I’d identify my writing style and colloquial and formal all at the same time.  I like to give honor to the high fantasy writing style of men like Tolkien and Alexander but I also like to throw in some informality and humor.  I like what Stephen King says about being honest and raw with the reader, which is what I’ve tried to do.




What is the name of your latest book?  And how did you come up with the title?


The name of the book is “Blood Loyalty”.  The title comes from the choices many of the characters have or have to make throughout the book.  Will they be loyal to their natures or will they be loyal to those attempting to change their natures?




What is Blood Loyalty about?


Blood Loyalty is about a Terren (sort of like a Halfling) whose only desire is to get his masters robes in the magic art of crafting with Eoc’s Blood, settle down with his loyalty partner, have younglings, and spend his time teaching and researching at the College of the Blood.  Unfortunately his gifts and talents won’t allow this and he’s thrown into a struggle with a traitor to his race and the society of the Elite, which is a society of undead seeking to overthrow the world of Eoc.




What books have most influenced your life?


I think in the world of fantasy they would be the chronicles of prydain by Lloyd Alexander and the lord of the Rings by Tolkien.  I also love the work of Barbara Hambly and Mercedes Lackey.  I’ve also been strongly influenced by the work of Stephen King.




If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?


I think if I could be mentored by an author it would be either by Stephen King or Dean Koontz.




What books are you reading now?  


Right now I’m reading a biography of Albert Einstein, a book on qualitative research methods, a book on psychological ethics (I’m working on my Ph.D. in Psychology) and I’m also re-reading the Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander.




What are your current projects?


I’m trying to promote blood loyalty and will be finishing a prequel to Blood Loyalty which is tentatively titled Solomon’s Song.




Do you see writing as a career?


I would love to write for a career.  My dream is to write fantasy and be a black and white nature photographer – maybe after I graduate.  




If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?


If I had to write it over again I’d kill off Gwen right at the end of the book, now I have to write a sequel to make sure she dies.




Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?


I’ve always loved writing.  I wrote my first horror story in first grade.  It’s just part of what I do.  At times I take breaks but I always come back to it.




Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?


Story arc is very challenging for me.  I tend to see stories in scenes and then I try to connect the scenes and sometimes this creates difficulty in writing a smooth arc.  I also struggle with point of view.  I like to read books with multiple points of view and thus I try to write with multiple points of view and at times I get lost.




Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?


The biggest thing I learned was that I could actually have the discipline to write a novel.  Blood loyalty took me 365 days to the day to write and at times it was quite arduous, but very fulfilling to write “the end”




Do you have any advice for other writers?


I think the best advice I would give is study many different authors, read in and out of your area, make sure you have the basics and then don’t be afraid to play.




Thank you D. Fay!  And best of luck!


You can find D. Fay on the web too!

to purchase on kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004477X8M
my website: the world of Eoc: http://worrldofeoc.webs.com/
my myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/551538844

You can buy Blood Loyalty at   https://www.createspace.com/3486364

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! We love and appreciate your feedback. Please note, any comment that appears to be spam or offensive in nature will be deleted.

Otherwise, we love and encourage your feed back and comments.

-Clare The Embraced Scribe