Wednesday, December 8, 2010

An Interview of the Author of 'Going Home Again,' Carol Cassada

Scribal Love Welcomes Carol Cassada!


Carol Cassada is an author of Contempory Romance.  Her newest work ‘Going Home Again’ is available from Romance Divine.


So where do you hail? Where are you from? 


I'm a Virginia girl, I come from a small town called Ringgold, with nothing much to do.

What inspired you to write this book? 


The idea just popped into my head one day. I wanted to write a story about a woman who returns home to be with her family and reunite with her high-school sweetheart, so I began formulating the story in my head and pretty soon I was on the computer typing away.

Do you have a specific writing style? 


I like to be creative and imaginitive with my work, write new plots and twists that readers will enjoy. But at the same time my work's also simple because I don't get too descriptive. I've read stories where writers are too overly descriptive with the settings or characters and to me as a reader it can slow down the story.

What is the name of your latest book? And how did you come up with the title? 


The name of my book is called Going Home Again, I thought about all different titles, at one time I was gonna name it Follow Your Heart, but it didn't have a ring to it. Finally I settled on Going Home Again, which fits the theme of the story.

What is 'Going Home Again' about?


The story revolves around Rachel Mitchell, a successful fashion photographer in New York, who has the perfect life along with the perfect boyfriend. Suddenly her world is shattered following the death of her mother and when she returns to her hometown to comfort her grandmother and younger sisters, she reconnects with her ex-boyfriend Cole Ashton. Upon returning to New York, Rachel's professional and personal life becomes a mess and she begins questioning what she's wants to do with her life.

What books have influenced your life most? 


Most people would think romance, but believe it or not, I wasn't much of a romance reader growing up.  I liked to read books about ghosts and monsters, old folk tales.  But I have to admit I have recently become interested in romance novels.

Did you find the idea of having your work published for others to read intimidating? If yes, why? If no, why not? 


I'm the type of person who worries what others will think of me, and having my book out there for others to read was intimidating.  But you have to let those fears go, the way I see it is it doesn't matter what others think, just as long as you like it, that's the most important thing.

If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor? 


I really don't have a mentor, but I have read quotes from authors about their love of writing and the importance of following your dreams and that inspires me.

What books are you reading now? 


Right now I'm in the midst of reading two books.  One's called The Ghosts of Virginia Volume 3 and the other's called The Dream Giver, which I highly recommend to anyone who wants to pursue a big dream but don't think they can.

What are your current projects? 


I finished my second book called Westmore, which is a kinda like a literary soap opera and I'm currently trying to find a publisher for it.  In the meantime I'm doing some freelance work by writing greeting card verses and short stories for magazines.

Do you see writing as a career? 


It's definitely something I'm passionate about, so absolutely I can see it as my career, even if I don't become as successful as Danielle Steel, knowing I've gotten published and people enjoy reading my book is enough for me.

If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?


 Not a thing, I like it just the way it is.

Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?


I was about fifteen or sixteen when I became interested in writing.  I took creative writing courses in school and I loved writing because it allowed me to use my imagination and create my own fantasy world.  I was going through a rough time and writing allowed me to express all the feelings I had bottled up inside, it helped me escape all my problems and relax me.

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing? 


Coming up with new ideas and plot twists to keep readers interested.

Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it? 


One thing I learned is I tend to make grammar mistakes and overuse words.

Do you have any advice for other writers? 


The best advice I can give is never give up. It's not gonna be easy, you're gonna get turned down by publishers and it's a blow to your self-esteem, but hang in there, cause eventually your dream is going to come true.


Thank you Carol for dropping by!  


You can find Carol on the web at:


http://twitter.com/dramacjc

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Carol. What an intriguing story. Congratulations on the release. Just a quick question. Is "RomanceDivine" any relation to loveyoudivine (publisher)?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! We love and appreciate your feedback. Please note, any comment that appears to be spam or offensive in nature will be deleted.

Otherwise, we love and encourage your feed back and comments.

-Clare The Embraced Scribe