Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Pirates, Romance, Fantasy and a Con? Read the 'Ten Ruby Trick' by Julia Knight!






Julia Knight  is an author of Fantasy and Historicals, both with romance and without.  Her newest work ‘Ten Ruby Trick’  is available from Carina Press. 




So where do you hail?  Where are you from?


I’m a Brit – I was born and brought up in Sussex, UK. 


What inspired you to write this book? 


Two characters popped into my head. They were partners in a con, but pretending they hated each other to make it work, teasing and needling each other because it was more fun that way. I wanted to find out who they were conning, and why. 


Do you have a specific writing style? 


I don’t think so – it varies with what I’m writing. I tend to write a very limited perspective, so the reader only knows what each POV character knows, and I get right into their heads when I can. Other than that, it’s pretty open. 


What is the name of your latest book? 


And how did you come up with the title? Ten Ruby Trick. It’s the name of a con my pirates used to run , and pretty much the first thing I knew about the book. 


What is Ten Ruby Trick about? 


The deep, philosophical answer would be trust and betrayal and the nature of free will. :D But actually it’s pirates and wizards and a con gone wrong. A magical heist caper if you will. 


Here’s the blurb: 


Privateer Van Gast thrills in capturing treasure; delights in pulling off elaborate scams; and has an outrageous reputation with the ladies. But there is only one woman for him: fellow privateer Josie—seductive, brave and unpredictable. He's hoping to make their relationship permanent, until he raids the wrong ship. Now slavers are stalking him, his crew is verging on mutiny and Josie has disappeared. 


When she reappears with a new mark wanting Van Gast's help running the ten ruby trick con, he senses trouble. It seems like Josie has joined up with mage-bound slavers to turn him over to their Master. Van Gast is about to take the biggest risk of all—and find out the true meaning of trust and betrayal.




What books have influenced your life most? 


Ooh loads! I was entranced by the Arthur tales growing up. Lord of the Rings made me swoon at the beautiful use of language. I love some of CJ Cherryh’s books for her complicated, flawed heroes that you can still fall for. Those really made me want to write heroes other people could fall for. I’m still a bit in love with Vanye.


Did you find the idea of having your work published for others to read intimidating?  If yes, why?  If no, why not?  


A bit of both, if I’m honest, There’s always a fear – especially with the first – what if people think it’s awful, or maybe point and laugh? Lol. But it gets easier, especially once you realize, there are people who think my favourite books are rubbish. You can’t please everyone. 


If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor? 


I think CJ Cherryh, for her heroes. With some added Terry Pratchett, because I love a bit of fun in fiction. I want to be Nanny Og when I get older.  


What books are you reading now?


Lots! I just got my first e-reader (yes, I know, shameful. I’ve been reading e-books on my PC up till now.) So I’m running rampage through the Gutenberg Project (out of copyright works, a lot of classics) and spending way too much money at publisher’s sites. I’ve got a CJ CHerryh on the go, a Fritz Lieber, a couple of Carina titles and an SF on the go. 


What are your current projects? 


I’ve recently finished an historical romance-about Vikings. And now I’m back to my pirates for a follow up to Ten Ruby Trick, called Find the Lady. Vikings and pirates-all I need now is ninjas and zombies for the full set. 


Do you find that international audiences are different from your home or native country's audience?  


Yes and no—everyone loves a good story. What I’ve written up till now, I’d say not. I write action adventure with more or less romance in it. Adventure for romance readers, if you will, and I think that translates okay. I’ve certainly had positive responses from both sides of the Pond. But I’ve got a project brewing, a mainstream fantasy that I think will be very much British in tone. Sometimes that translates over to the US, and sometimes not. We’ll see. If I manage to sell it!


Do you see writing as a career? 


Absolutely – but it’s fun too. I treat it seriously, but try to enjoy myself at the same time. 


If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book? 


Do you know, I don’t think I would. It’s the only thing I’ve ever written that I didn’t harbour secret doubts about. 


Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?


I’ve always had stories running around in my head. It never occurred to me to write them down, until I was struck down with ME. With no energy for anything else, I took to writing to alleviate the boredom. 


Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?


All of it, and that’s why I love it so much. Though when writing a second book in a series, I do struggle with how much of the first to reference etc. 


Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it? 


I want to be a pirate…:D I learnt a lot about pacing, and all different sorts of tension, from the big OMG! The world as I know it is going to end! To the little tensions, the flirty smile, the wanting to do something you know you shouldn’t. 


Do you have any advice for other writers? 


Perseverance is everything. 

Julia, Thanks For Dropping By!


You can find Julia and her work on the web at:







Twitter @Knight_Julia



1 comment:

  1. Very good interview. I have never heard of this author before so it's always nice to hear of a new one. I can say I love this cover, and it drew me into read more. The blurb is great!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! We love and appreciate your feedback. Please note, any comment that appears to be spam or offensive in nature will be deleted.

Otherwise, we love and encourage your feed back and comments.

-Clare The Embraced Scribe