Sunday, January 23, 2011

We Welcome Mary Abshire As She Discusses Her New Paranormal Erotica Novel, "Claiming the Evil Dead"

Scribal Love Welcomes Mary Abshire!


Mary Abshire is an author of Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy.  Her newest work "Claiming the Evil Dead" is available from Noble Romance Publishing. 


What is the name of your latest book?  And how did you come up with the title?


Claiming the Evil Dead. How I came up with the title...I made a short list of possible titles based on what the main character is going to do in the book, thought about them, and decided. Nothing too difficult. (smile)


What is this book about?  And what genre is this book in?


Paranormal Erotic Romance or Paranormal Romance.  The main character, Jessie Garrett, is half-demon and she  catches evil souls and sends them to Hell. She has a somewhat normal life and doesn’t trust other supernatural creatures. 


A sexy vampire, Drake, finds her and offers her a job to claim the soul of an evil vamp. She accepts his offer. Needless to say, they have a few problems as they search for the evil vamp and she discovers she is attracted to Drake. 


Then she bumps into a hot demon, Jeremy, who causes more problems, but also helps her. Besides dealing with evil spirits, vampires, and demons, she has plenty of her own internal conflicts to deal with. 


Who is/are the main characters?  And why did you choose them?


Jessie Garrett is the main character. Drake, an vampire, is the second main character. Jeremy, a full blooded demon, is another important character. 
I wanted someone good, bad, and in the middle. I'm not saying which fits which. (Guess)


What is the coolest or best part about your book?  (Any Favorite scenes, the world-building etc..)


There are several scenes that I like--when Drake and Jessie leave together, when Jessie meets Jeremy, when Jessie falls for Drake, when Jessie almost dies...twice. I think I might be giving away too much info here.


Do you have a favorite character in the book?  If so, why? 


Yes. Jeremy. He's twisted, fun, and always causing trouble.


Is this book part of a series?  If so? What can we expect in future books?  


Yes. The soul catcher series. The second book is Catching an Evil Tail and it involves werewolves. I'm working on finishing the third, Fighting Evil. Jessie struggles for her life, basically. I have an idea for the fourth book. There are so many evil souls in the world...


If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?


I think I would introduce other supernatural creatures that have a connection to Drake. People connected to him would come in handy for future books that I have in mind.


Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?


I learned to have patience and not to give up. I was told numerous times from agents and editors that they loved my premise. I still got rejections over and over again. 


Then I went back and made minor edits. I got a quick response from Noble and here we are today.


Do you have a publisher?  And if so, why did you choose them?  


Noble Romance Publishing is my publisher. I reviewed several publishers and I liked what Noble Romance had to offer. They have great books, cover art is excellent, and they are growing.


If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?


Kim Harrison and Jeanine Frost. Two completely different styles, yet both are excellent.


What books are you reading now?  


Circle of Fire by Keri Arthur


What are the current writing projects that you are working on? 


Besides the soul catcher series, I have an Urban Fantasy novel I plan to submit in 2011. It will be in a series. 


Do you write full time?  If not, do you hope to do so one day?


No, I don't write full time. I wish I did. I'd love to write full time one day. My goal is to retire at 50 and write full time.


Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?


When I was a teenager, (computers weren't in every home) I was actively involved in the pen-pal world. I didn't write stories, but I loved writing and staying connected to people. I loved reading vampire books. 


I've always had an interest in paranormal. A few years ago, I decided to take writing seriously. I wrote a piece of crap, but I kept writing. I can't seem to stop now. (smile)


Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?


Making motivations clear are sometimes a challenge. I have to step back or put it aside for a while. When I revisit the piece, I usually see the error of my ways. 


Do you have any advice for other writers seeking to get published for the first time?


Never give up submitting your work. Read and write EVERY day! Set goals, reasonable ones. In my opinion, it’s ok to go to a publisher instead of an agent. '


The market is changing so fast and there are very good publishers looking for stories. Opportunities are here for writers. As always, you have to do your homework and find out which publisher is best for your wants/needs.


Thanks Mary for Dropping by!  


You can find Mary on the web at:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! We love and appreciate your feedback. Please note, any comment that appears to be spam or offensive in nature will be deleted.

Otherwise, we love and encourage your feed back and comments.

-Clare The Embraced Scribe