Friday, January 7, 2011

Romantic Suspense Author Amy Romine talks about her newest book Veiled Deception

Amy Romine is an author of Romantic Suspense. Her newest work Trust Me Book 2 – Veiled Deception is available from Extasy Books.

 

What is the name of your latest book? And how did you come up with the title?

Trust Me Book 2 – Veiled Deception, interesting story, when I signed with Extasy the Trust Me Trilogy was one book (entitled Trust Me). After talking with the Extasy team we decided to split Trust Me it into three so I had to come up with a name for each book. This was not an easy task. It was hard enough to do just the one. I played around with various possibilities. Once I named Book 1 – Serenity Lost, the rest came fairly easy. Serenity Lost refers to the peace the hero, Eric, finds with Rebecca, the heroine. In the course of the first book we see how and why that serenity is lost to Erica and what, if anything, he is planning to do to get it back.


What is this book about? And what genre is this book in?

The entire series is a romantic suspense/thriller. Book 1 leaves off with a cliff hanger and Book 2 literally picks up where it leaves off.

In Book 1 we meet Eric, Charlie and Rebecca, we learn that Eric and Rebecca met each other in Dallas weeks before and had an anonymous one night stand that both of them are clinging to.

A month later, we catch up with both of them. Eric has returned to his life as a Las Vegas Detective and Rebecca her life in corporate America.  Unfortunately since Rebecca’s return to town she has been receiving gifts from an unknown admirer. When things start to get scary (i.e. receiving a teddy bear stuffed with entrails) Charlie, the man Rebecca is dating insists she go to the police.  Rebecca gives her statement and while at the police station, Charlie wants to introduce her to his brother, Eric.

Book 1 is driven by the escalating stalking of Rebecca by an unknown person and the unspoken pact between Rebecca and Eric that despite their feelings, they can never be together because of Charlie.

In Book 2 we find out who the stalker is, Eric comes to a decision about his future with Rebecca and Rebecca struggles with the effects of being the focus of a psychotic killer’s fantasy’s. Our trio comes out of the ordeal relatively unscathed we get to see the characters settle back into normalcy. Then Rebecca disappears and everything changes.


Who is/are the main characters? And why did you choose them?

Rebecca Gailen, Eric Stiles and Charlie Stiles I wanted to see what would happen if someone had to choose between hurting a member of their family or live without the thing that brings them the most joy. Adding in the subplots of the stalker and Rebecca’s sister Lucy add to the intensity of the situation. Can Eric stand by in loyalty to his brother while the woman that changed his life is slowly ripped apart? I am in love with the strong heroine so the match for that is a unique hero. Charlie adds a dash of perfection without passion.
 
What is the coolest or best part about your book? (Any Favorite scenes, the world-building etc…


In Book 2, my favorite part is a conversation between Eric and Rebecca’s stalker, very intense; I had a great time writing the scene.

Do you have a favorite character in the book? If so, why?

I honestly love all of the characters in the book. Probably my favorite, if I had to choose, would be Donna, Rebecca’s best friend as she is patterned after my BFF.

Is this book part of a series? If so? What can we expect in future books?

Book 1 and Book 2 are available NOW. Book 3 will be released Feb 1st 2011.
If not? Are you considering expanding it?

If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?

No. I can honestly say that I am completely thrilled with this piece. I am in love with the characters, the story and everything in between. I am very proud of my creation as it is everything I would want to see in a romantic suspense I was reading.

Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

Wow, yes I have learned so much and I continue to learn every single day. I think the biggest thing I learned was how much I didn’t know. Over the past two years as a writer I have grown and this book was the result of that.

Do you have a publisher? And if so, why did you choose them?



If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?
Established famous author would be Mercedes Lackey. She was the writer who inspired me to write and introduced me to the heart of a strong heroine. Less famous but just as established and amazing, Keta Diablo, she is just amazing. Her work ethic, her versatility, her vision and the passion she bring to every piece is just amazing.

What books are you reading now

Funny enough I am reading the new Keta Diablo novel (just bought it a few days ago) Where the Rain is Made…love it so far.

What are the current writing projects that you are working on?

I have a lot going on at the moment. I am working on my next two series, both are Romantic Suspense. I have also been busy writing for a new erotic Amazon subscription blog, Red Lipstick Journals. We are a small group of amazingly talented erotic authors who are providing a variety of content, all erotic in nature. RLJ has articles on erotic movies, toys, erotic fiction serials, sexy food, habits, places, and trends….loads of fun.

Do you write full time? If not, do you hope to do so one day?



Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?

Yes and no. It kind of evolved. As a youngster I was very active in theater and loved to play pretend. I started creating my own characters, and plots that I would act out with my friends. That evolved into scripts, fan fiction and then original fiction. Looking back it has always been there, I just took the long way around the block.

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?



Do you have any advice for other writers seeking to get published for the first time?

Don’t give up and write what you are passionate about, because that is what will break you through to the next level. If you love cars, write about cars. If you are passionate about history, please do not write a psychotic thriller (unless of course your killer is a time traveler.).

The reasons for both pieces of advice are linked. If you are passionate about something it will come through. You will be able to see it in your writing, and in the way you sell your piece. If you are genuinely excited about your book, because it is YOUR favorite book than the person you are talking to is going to get excited about it as well. The catch is that you have to believe that your book is the best it can be and that you would read it, buy it and or give it to the person you respect the most. Too many authors write what’s popular and what they think will sell instead of trusting the passion that drove them to write in the first place. When they fail to sell the book they wonder why. So write what you know, what you love and always be true to who you are.
 
Some very good advice.  Thank you Amy for Dropping by!

You can find Amy on the web at:

Amy Romine
Serenity Lost
Veiled Deception
 
 
Action sequences. I have a love hate relationship with them. I love to put them in, hate to write them. We are going to therapy.
I wish I could write full time, but sadly no. I am a fulltime wife, mother and corporate employee. That is the goal though. J
?
Yes, my publisher is Extasy Books. The first contact I had with Extasy was through Tina Haveman (who is a publishing icon in her own right). Tina’s interest in Trust Me was pure interest. There was something that caught her eye and she wanted more. She was so excited about my book and that was something I hadn’t seen before then and I knew it was the right decision. Turns out that Extasy is an amazing creative family and I am so happy to be a part of it.
 
In Book 1 my favorite part is the meeting of Rebecca and Eric, the very beginning. It is sweet and yet passionate. You can see that these two characters are made for each other.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Amy, great interview! Thank you so much for your kind words and I'm glad you're enjoying Where The Rain Is Made.

    I'm loving the cover for Serenity Lost and hope you obtain lots of success with its release.

    I still don't know how you handle writing, family and working full-time, but I guess that proves how dedicated and creative you are.

    Keep those stories coming! Namaste, Keta
    http://www.ketadiablo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read book 1 and I am half way through book two of Amy's Trust Me Series. I found this article through her blog. This is a great article, it is kind cool to get to know an author on such a personal level. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Amy - congrats! And nice blog Clare!
    BR

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Blak Rayne! It's great to see you here! Thanks for the compliment! And thanks for dropping by!

    Thank you Amy for allowing me to host you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amy! Great interview. Your passion and determination shine through loud and clear. I'm so glad we met as part of the Red Lipstick Journals and I wish you unending success.

    Margie Church
    www.romancewithsass.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great interview! Thanks for sharing the link!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! We love and appreciate your feedback. Please note, any comment that appears to be spam or offensive in nature will be deleted.

Otherwise, we love and encourage your feed back and comments.

-Clare The Embraced Scribe