Monday, February 14, 2011

Science fiction, Interracial Multicultural Author Shannon Leigh Discusses her Latest Work "Chasing Booty"

Scribal Love Welcomes Shannon Leigh!

Shannon Leigh is an author of erotic romance. Her newest work Chasing Booty is available from Amber Quill Press.





What is the name of your latest book?  And how did you come up with the title?

Chasing Booty is the title. This story is included in what the publisher calls an AmberPax, which is basically a group of 5 stories all centered around a particular theme. However, each story can be purchased separately as well. This Pax, titled Alien Nation, had to have stories about aliens and humans coming together. I wanted a title with a double meaning. Something catchy and comical.

What is this book about?  And what genre is this book in?

Gaelyn is a bounty hunter on the tail of her latest mark. Her adversary, Reese, a sexy Trøndite from the small planet of Sør-Trøndalag in the Capricornus Sector, has a nasty habit of stealing her contracts. Thinking she’s duped him on Jupiter, she not too happy to find him on Quaoar. Reese not only has the info she needs to catch her prey, he has a business proposal that’s too tempting to pass up.

Genre: Science Fiction / Futuristic / Action / Adventure / Interracial / Multicultural

Who is/are the main characters?  And why did you choose them?

Gaelyn is the main female, and Reese is the main male.

I chose Gaelyn because she was strong-willed, had a quick sarcastic wit, and could hold her own in a futuristic world where humans had to be tough to survive.

Reese is like the proverbial devil in blue jeans, of the male variety. With his red skin, sinfully good looks, and goliath form, he’s the poster-boy for incubus. Put them together and you have a couple that’s likely going to melt your computer screen (or kindle/nook!).

What is the coolest or best part about your book?  (Any Favorite scenes, the world-building etc.)

I like the scene in the bar, where Gaelyn first sees Reese. She so furious she can’t see straight, and her haughty don’t-mess-with-me attitude makes me laugh. I tried really hard to use good descriptions throughout the book so the reader gets a feel for this strange world and it’s equally bizarre inhabitants. I hope I succeeded.


Do you have a favorite character in the book?  If so, why?

It would be Gaelyn. She is the type of girl I think a lot of us would want to be like. You know, the one who’s beautiful but not arrogant, tough but not a bully or punk, and who still manages to have a heart despite the harshness of her world. She may wipe the floor with your behind, but she’ll love you while she does it.

Is this book part of a series?  If so? What can we expect in future books? 


Not as of yet, but I will probably write some more stories off this line. I don’t know if it will have the same characters, or maybe introduce some new players in the line up.
In future books, I’d expect a similar story line with bounty hunters and marks, but there’s always got to be a new twist.


If not?  Are you considering expanding it?

Whatever I come up with will likely expand from the original storyline.
If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?No. I like it and can honestly say I wouldn’t change a thing.

Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

I had to research space and solar systems. It was pretty cool and certainly opened my mind to some new ideas.

Do you have a publisher?  And if so, why did you choose them?

Actually, I have 3, but Amber Quill carries most of my titles. I love working with AQ, they’re very easy to talk to, get back with me on things right away, and offer great author services. Trace does an awesome job on the book covers, and my editor is very pleasant to work with.

If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?

Probably Anne McCaffrey. Her Dragon Riders of Pern series really had a big impact on me. I haven’t tackled a dragon story as of yet, but I’m getting there.

What books are you reading now?

I just finished Eternal Embrace and am getting ready to start Feral Hunger.

What are the current writing projects that you are working on?

Several. One, The Age of the Vampire, is a joint effort with author Rebecca Suma. I’m also trying to finish up my novel length science fiction romance, Krécelian Mate. I have a sequel to More Than Prophecy, called When Destiny Summons, in the works, and a few others that have grown to several pages. I’m hoping this year I will get to finish what I’ve started, and start some more.

Do you write full time?  If not, do you hope to do so one day?

I wish. Unfortunately, I have to work full-time so I get far less writing time that I want. But where there’s a will there’s a way and so I chug along as best as I can, catching a few minutes or hours late at night or in the evenings when my hubby is occupied and my kids are busy saving the world on the PS3.

Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?

I’ve always loved to read. Somewhere around the age of 10 I had a writing project for school. I think that really sparked my interest. I began writing short stories through the years, but didn’t really take it serious until about 10 years ago.

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?

The time it takes. I try to be so descriptive and thorough that it takes me a long time to finish even a short story. I envy authors who boast about completing one in a week or a few days. 

Do you have any advice for other writers seeking to get published for the first time?

Don’t give up. When someone says no, take their criticism as constructive, fix what needs to be fixed and submit it somewhere else. Perseverance goes a long way in this industry.

Thanks Shannon for Dropping by!

You can find Shannon on the web at:

Publisher: http://www.amberquill.com/AmberHeat/ChasingBooty.html

Author website: http://shannonleigh.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! We love and appreciate your feedback. Please note, any comment that appears to be spam or offensive in nature will be deleted.

Otherwise, we love and encourage your feed back and comments.

-Clare The Embraced Scribe