Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Fantasy Author Sarah Ettritch Discusses Her Newest Book "The Salbine Sisters"

Scribal Love Welcomes Sarah Ettrich!

Sarah Ettritch is an author of fantasy and science fiction. Her newest work THE SALBINE SISTERS is available from Norn Publishing.

 

What is the name of your latest book? And how did you come up with the title?

The Salbine Sisters is my latest book. See my next answer for where the title came from. :)

What is this book about? And what genre is this book in?

The Salbine Sisters is a fantasy novel about a religious order of female mages who worship the goddess Salbine. The sisters believe that Salbine bestows upon them the gift of magic. When Maddy, the main character, discovers that she can't do magic, her faith is severely tested. The book is about her struggle to reconcile her inability to do magic with her faith in Salbine.

Who is/are the main characters? And why did you choose them?

Maddy, an initiate in the Salbine Order, is the main character. I didn't choose her; my characters choose me.

What is the coolest or best part about your book? (Any Favorite scenes, the world-building etc..

There's a lot of fun character interaction, but I'd say the coolest thing is that it's a fantasy novel about an order of mages with a main character who can't do magic.

Do you have a favorite character in the book? If so, why?

No, I don't have a favorite character.

Is this book part of a series? If so? What can we expect in future books?

It isn't a series, but readers have asked for another Salbine book. Since I have a story in mind, I'll probably write it, but I don't know when.

If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?

I wouldn't change anything significant, but since I'm always improving as a writer, I'd want to tweak the writing. That will apply to everything I write!

Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

I learned about how a specific medical procedure was performed in the 16th century and the advances that have been made since then. I needed the information to write a particular scene in the book. I can't go into detail without spoiling a plot point in the story.

What do you like to read?

I like to read speculative fiction, mysteries, thrillers, lesbian fiction, biographies, history, and theology. I also read books about writing and publishing.

What books are you reading now?

I'm reading Changing My Mind by Margaret Trudeau, the ex-wife of a Canadian prime minister. The book is about how her bipolar disorder affected her life and those around her.

What are the current writing projects that you are working on?

I'm currently working on my ongoing science fiction series. Rymellan 2, the second book in the series, will be available in February.

Do you write full time? If not, do you hope to do so one day?

I don't write full time. I'm trying to figure out if I'd like to write full time. To be determined.

Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?

I wish I remembered what made me write my first story, but I don't.

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?

The first draft is always the toughest for me. I prefer the editing stage.

Do you have any advice for other writers seeking to get published for the first time?

Be persistent and believe in yourself.

Thank you for interviewing me, Clare!

You are welcome Sarah!  Thanks for dropping by!

You can find Sarah on the web at:

Sarah's website: http://www.sarahettritch.com/

The Salbine Sisters: http://www.fantasynovel.org/

The Salbine Sisters is available at online bookstores, including Amazon (print & kindle), Barnes & Noble, and Smashwords.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! We love and appreciate your feedback. Please note, any comment that appears to be spam or offensive in nature will be deleted.

Otherwise, we love and encourage your feed back and comments.

-Clare The Embraced Scribe