Our Scribes Are Everywhere

Our Scribes Are Everywhere
Join Our Clan And Become One Of Us. We Keep The Masquerade And Are A Part Of The Camarilla Here. In Case You Didn't Know, Our Scribes Are Everywhere...

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Interview with Science Fiction Romance Author, Patricia Green, her new book 'Daughter of the Moon'

Scribal Love Welcomes Patricia Green!


Patricia Green is an author of several science fiction erotica and historical romance novels.  Her newest work, Daughter of the Moon, Book 1: The Surface is available in electronic format from Renaissance EBooks and Amazon.


What inspired you to write this book?


My experience with a kind of loose survivalist group as a teenager was the base for Daughter of the Moon.  I say “loose” because it really was a teenage social group more than a legitimate, funded organization.  However, the book was born of the camaraderie of that group, the social intrigue, and a fervent interest in science fiction.


Do you have a specific writing style?  


My own personal preference for science fiction novels is for technical science fiction rather than fantasy; more like Larry Niven than Anne McCaffrey.  For romance, I hope to pattern my style after Mary Balogh, Johanna Lindsey and, more recently, Diane Whiteside—all of whom are writers of historical romance, though Lindsey also wrote some wonderful sci-fi romance.  Consequently, I try to take my style from the hard science fiction realm, while, hopefully, illustrating the grandeur of romance and the titillation of sexuality with equal emphasis.  Certain aspects of my novels have a New Age sort of premise, which I think is something we’ll see more of in the future as the Gaia-worship of the green movement becomes more commonplace.


What is the name of your latest book?  And how did you come up with the title?


My most recent book is Daughter of the Moon, Book 1: The Surface.  It is the first installment of a two-book series.  The title came from the religion I created for the female characters in the novel.  They worship Luna, the moon, ritualistically.  The men in the books identify more with Sol, the sun. 


What is Daughter of the Moon about?


It is the story of a group of women and men who experience a long-term war that becomes a nuclear holocaust.  They anticipated it, so have prepared a shelter – very high tech – in which they can safely wait out the half-life of the nuclear bombs.  The story examines their interactions with each other, their 60s-style free love and culture, and the love-matches they form.  The hero and heroine, Mikhail and Sonata, find themselves drawn together by a common enemy of sorts, though both have previously been close to the enemy as friends.  The couple goes through some trials, alternately fighting with each other and kissing to make up with one another.  The first book takes place entirely on the surface as the couple discovers each other and begins to build their relationship.  The second book looks at the new set of tribulations they find in the belowground shelter. The series is character-driven, erotic, and has elements of tragedy, humor and hope.


What books have most influenced your life most?


Larry Niven’s Ringworld series was a huge influence on me, as was the first sci-fi romance I read, Johanna Lindsey’s Warrior’s Woman.


If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?


Although I have many writer friends, the only writer who has mentored me is my husband, Kenneth Green, who faithfully reads my manuscripts repeatedly as I work though the editing process.  Although he is a non-fiction author primarily, he loves sci-fi and approaches my sci-fi romances with encouragement and insight.  He even reads my non-traditional erotica and historical romance patiently.


What books are you reading now?  


I usually read two or three books at a time on my Kindle.  Right now, my favorite is 'Who is Mark Twain?' a book of Mark Twain’s previously unpublished stories and essays, edited by Robert. H. Hirst.  I’m reading that in preparation for the release of Twain’s autobiography later this year.  I am also reading Hour of the Hunter, by J.A. Jance, and two literary journals, “Narrative,” and “Poets & Writers Magazine.”


What are your current projects?


I’m always doing promotional writing for my books, but at the request of my publisher, I am working on a novella.  It’s a “prequel” to my first sci-fi romance/erotica book, Laricon’s Ways. Also, I just finished a short story written on spec for a new(ish) sci-fi magazine.


Do you see writing as a career?


Absolutely! I intend to be doing it for a very long time to come.


If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?


No, I wouldn’t change anything of substance.  I am thoroughly in love with my characters, and I feel that the plot is solid.  Of all my published novels, this is the one that rattled around in my head the longest.  It sprang forth full formed once I sat down to write it.  Of course, then I had to edit it.)


Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?


My first publication was in a children’s magazine when I was seven.   It was a poem about salad dressing.  I have always taken great pleasure in my writing, and modest success along the way has encouraged me to more mischief on paper.


Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?


The most challenging aspect of writing, for me, is editing.  I dream my books over the course of a few months, and writing them down is a lot like transcribing a movie.  However, the next steps, revision and editing, are torturous.  They are the most important aspects of a book-writing project, and it takes me every bit of twice as long to edit my manuscripts as to write down the story.


Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?


The Daughter of the Moon books were originally written as one manuscript—a rather long one.  I had to learn how to divide that single manuscript into two complete books.   I’d never done that before, and it was a fun exercise.


Do you have any advice for other writers?


So many people out there with good ideas stumble because they don’t understand the rules of grammar.   It doesn’t matter how wonderful your idea is if you can’t convey it in a way your reader can understand.   So, my advice to other writers is to educate yourself.  Get a good handbook like the Harbrace College Handbook and study it cover to cover.  All of your writing will benefit from it, from cover letter to promotional blurb.




Thank you Patricia for dropping by!  


You are welcome.  


You can find Patricia on web at:


Buy Daughter of the Moon, Book 1: The Surface from the publisher:  http://shop.renebooks.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=GREEN-03 


Her Amazon author page (that shows all but my pseudonymous books): http://www.amazon.com/Patricia-Green/e/B002RCB0IK/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0


Her personal website (which includes an excerpt of Daughter): http://www.patriciagreenbooks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! We love and appreciate your feedback. Please note, any comment that appears to be spam or offensive in nature will be deleted.

Otherwise, we love and encourage your feed back and comments.

-Clare The Embraced Scribe

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...